Saturday, January 4, 2014

An introduction.

Hi.

I'm Raoul. Better known on the internet as Warmonger Smurf (Smurf for short). And I love food. I learned how to cook watching Alton Brown. I read Harold McGee and Michael Pollan. I've worked around food my whole adult life, and I've grown to love every last bit of it. How it looks, how it smells. The joy to be found in the simple act of eating.

It bums me out to think that when a lot of people think of food, all they see is an ingredient list and some step-by-step directions. Food's more than recipes and reviews; it encompasses so much more about our lives than we give it credit for. It's science and art, it's comfort and exploration. It's techniques and forms, rules and philosophy. It takes precision and interpretation in equal measure. It's a reflection of cultures worldwide, an insight on what people believe and how they live. Eating's one of two human activities that use all five senses, that we all have in common across the globe.

I won't pretend to be an expert on any of this. I'm just a guy who cooks, some dude who talks about food a little more often than the average person. You won't find many recipes or destinations here - I'd rather talk about what goes into cooking, why we do the things we do when we're making it. I'd rather talk about what it means to us, as individuals, as friends, as families and communities.

So stay a while, and listen. Y'know, if that kind of thing appeals to you. I'll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment